The Poowong Pickers Festival is part of the National Garage Sale Trail event ran in October each year and is all about keeping as many things out of landfill as possible by ensuring they are reused or repurposed. It’s an event I voluntarily organise to raise funds for local sustainability initiatives.
A large number of home owners and community groups in Poowong register to hold simultaneous garage sales; the next one being on Saturday 22nd October 2016 between 9am – 2pm (Join our Facebook event here). Up to 50 sellers have registered in previous years which presents a prime opportunity for bargain hunters, collectors, renovators, sustainable consumers, recyclers, upcyclers, and more!
You’ll be able to find the location of each garage sale and a short list of items for sale through details shared in the Facebook event. Sellers will also clearly display that they are open for business. Homeowners in Poowong wishing to register should also join the Facebook event to receive details as they are made available. Here is the registration form. Also, check out my post on Tips For A Successful Garage Sale. Please note we will be accepting a limited number of stallholders at the Poowong Consolidated School for people not wishing to sell from home.
What makes this event so great?
- Items are diverted from landfill
- People delight in other’s unneeded stuff
- Decluttering your house helps eliminate stress – it’s true!
- Meet the neighbours, fellow bargain hunters and other interesting characters
- The small amount of funds raised from the seller registration fee goes towards more Gippsland Unwrapped waste wise projects (the first three years went towards sustainability projects at Poowong Pre School)
- Make extra cash to pay down debt or participate in a new experience – it makes you happy!